[DB-SIG] speedtest

Oliver Vecernik vecernik@aon.at
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 23:48:59 +0100

Hi!

As I started playing with Python and the DB-API 2.0 I was interested in
a comparison between different open source databases. Reading this
newsgroup brought me to SQLite and there I found a nice test written by
D. Richard Hipp (http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/speed.html).

I wrote a small Python script
(http://members.aon.at/vecernik/download/speedtest.py) for testing
PostgreSQL, MySQL (MyISAM, InnoDB, BerkeleyDB), SQLite and SAP DB. I
didn't succeed with Firebird, maybe someone else writes a patch.

I ran the test on a W2k server (INTEL P4/2GHz, 512MB RAM). You can find
my results from the script output
(http://members.aon.at/vecernik/download/speedtest.txt) or as csv-format
file (http://members.aon.at/vecernik/download/speedtest.csv). The field
format should be self explanatory ;-)

My results do *not* match very closely with the original ones. :-(

I don't know exactly why. PostgreSQL seems to have a memory problem, as
test07 grows with every test cycle. Restarting postmaster, solves the
problem. SAP DB seems to be quite unstable (to be honest, this is a beta
version). Especially when the log runs out of space, it is possible to
crash the server! MySQL and SQLite seem to be rock solid.

Any comments are welcome!

Regards,
Oliver