[DB-SIG] DB API 2.0 Anal Compliance Unit Test for review

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:37:07 +0100

Stuart Bishop wrote:

> On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 07:30  PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> * requiring a separate DB for the test suite is a bit much; I'd
>>   suggest to use properly mangled table names instead, e.g.
>>   dbapi20xxxxx with xxxxx being some number.
>

> This one hasn't been done yet. I didn't design the test suite to
> require a separate DB unless the driver stub wanted it that way.
> I also choose 'booze' and 'barflys' as table names because they
> are < 8 characters, only alphabetics and pretty much guaranteed
> not to conflict with your schema unless your vendor or DBA is
> on drugs.
>
> I'm happy to put in a overridable prefix to the table names, but
> have not done the typing yet :-)

I'd suggest to use a generated name like the one above for
both databases and tables. They should have common prefixes
which allow DBA to easily tell whether they can delete the
table/database. E.g. in the mxODBC test.py script all tables
use the naming scheme mxODBCxxxx.

Note that you should also make sure that the test properly
cleans up, e.g. by placing the whole logic in try:finally:
and keeping track of the generated test tables.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 15 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     45 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       129 days left