[DB-SIG] Re: python module as external library for Oracle?

Mike Rovner mike@bindkey.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:35:54 -0800

"Simon Saubern" <simon.saubern@molsci.csiro.au> wrote in message

> I'd like to set-up a trigger within Oracle that would call an
> external library to do some calculations on new rows inserted into
> Oracle tables.
>
> Can this external library be a python script, or do I have to compile
> the python code into C? If so, how do I go about doing that?

AFAIK since Oracle8 on Windows platform there is a possibility to call
arbitrary OCX from within PLSQL code.
You can utilize that for python binding.

On the other hand that solution is not portable and as Oracle itself
mentioned not so stable to recommend it. ;)

Or you can use jython.

Best wishes,
Mike

PS. I wish I could use python instead of java for oracle scripting.