[DB-SIG] displaying japanese characters from utf-8 database in a browser

Page, Scott spage at rightnow.com
Fri Apr 11 11:32:11 EDT 2003

I'm not sure if this if the correct forum for this topic, but if anyone out there has any advice on how to accomplish this, it would be much appreciated.

I am querying a utf-8 oracle database using the cx_oracle module (thinking of switching to DCOracle2) and trying to display the data in a browser using the Shift_JIS charset. The Japanese characters just show up as '???' though.  I've tried changing the charset via the html meta tags as well as experimented with python's 'unicode' function, but no success.