[DB-SIG] Database Independent SQL

Huy Do huy@tramada.com.au
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:44:31 +1000

Hi,

I'm about to develop a major Python application and was wondering what the
most database independent way of going about accessing a database in my
application. i.e so I can switch between databases almost instantly (a
little bit of work is also okay :-)).

I know the DB API 2 handles the connection, querying etc. in an independent
manner but what I am also looking for is some sort of library which provided
a standard SQL syntax as well.

I still want the power of SQL but would like a library which would translate
a standard set of SQL syntax to all the slightly varying SQL syntaxes of the
different databases out there.

I'm not a big fan of OR mapping tools because their querying abilities are
too restrictive and IMO reinventing the wheel in many instances.

Thanks in advance for all your responses,

Huy