[DB-SIG] Suggestions for DB-API improvements

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:58:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Kevin Jacobs wrote:
> > The question is how to get driver authors to support all these new
> > requirements.  Maybe we need multiple levels of compliance within the
> > DB-API?  What exists now could be "entry-level" compliance, so that we can
> > define "intermediate-level" to include some of the easier features, and have
>
> Maybe it's time to make a DB-API *library*, so authors of support for specific
> database adapters don't need to do all this work from scratch.

I would like to see this happen, but I am not sure how realistic it is.  For
example, how would we integrate support for products like mxODBC, which is
commercially licensed?

Some advantages of a library are:

  1) Unified exception hierarchy
  2) Ability to build higher-level abstractions, like business-objects
     (think ADO), driver-agnostic connection pooling, managed connection
     configuration, etc.
  3) More shared implementation
  4) More active maintenance (more eyes == better code)

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect