[DB-SIG] XML, Python and, of course, DB's

Arthur Albano arthuralbano@hotmail.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:56:01 +0900

  First of all, I would like to greet all. This is my first posting on
Python even if I use it since 1.4.

Databases can and will cause serious headaches on most programmers.
Things that are always in my mind are:
- Portability;
- Stability;
- Speed;
- Scalability;
- Flexibility.

Among these, the most important to me is flexibility. I still believe
that db solutions should be packed according to the clients needs and
should adapt as fast as a lightning-bolt to new concepts and methods.

I still believe that ui's should be on a browser and the server side has
to bear the load of processing. The web proved that in the way that we
have maps, encyclopedias, translations, books, etc. outside desktop
computers.

Many SQL server solutions are on the market but one that is really
promising is the use of XML structured data, which is open and has
various other advantages. Due to XML, user interface creation became
simpler on multiplatform. But there is still a lack of, as far as I am
aware of, database administration based on XML and Python.

I believe this is the best solution to fit my needs (the things that are
always in my mind). That's it, a lightweight object-oriented database
and XML is my choice. So, python provides me with flexbility, and XML
the open structure that I need.

Arthur Albano
"Just nobody."