[DB-SIG] Re: DB-SIG digest, Vol 1 #511 - 4 msgs

Billy G. Allie Billy G. Allie" <Bill.Allie@mug.org
Sat, 03 Nov 2001 13:20:42 -0500

--==_Exmh_-1873560944P

David Bolen <db3l@fitlinxx.com> writes:
> Gary Maynard [maynard@mpi-cbg.de] writes:
> =

> > result =3D cursor.fetchall("select * from Address")
> > =

> > Then we'd like to put the data from result into another data object,
> > call it sorted_result.  We'd like to include the column names in this=

> > object such that we could obtain any piece of data by giving it the
> row number and column name.  So, if we wanted to obtain the Street of
> > the 6th row, we would say something like:
> > =

> > sorted_result [6]['Street']
> =

> Others have pointed out some of the externally available modules
> (e.g., dtuple), but it's also pretty simple to just write your own
> function to do it.  Here's a sample of a function that is given
> a cursor with a command previously executed, and automatically
> processes the fetchall() into a list of dictionaries.  Far less
> generic than something like dtuple, but it does meet your above goals:

Another possibility is to use the PgResultSet object from pyPgSQL =

(http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net).  This object acts as a list or a dictio=
nary. =

 It also exposes the result columns as attributes by column name, making =
it =

possible to reference columns using:

	given: result =3D cursor.fetchall("select * from Address")

1.	result[6][2]		/* accessed as a list */
2.	result[6]['street']	/* accessed as a dictionary */
3.	result[6].street	/* accessed as an attribute */

-- =

____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126|
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |

--==_Exmh_-1873560944P

David Bolen <db3l@fitlinxx.com> writes:
> Gary Maynard [maynard@mpi-cbg.de] writes:
> =

> > result =3D cursor.fetchall("select * from Address")
> > =

> > Then we'd like to put the data from result into another data object,
> > call it sorted_result.  We'd like to include the column names in this=

> > object such that we could obtain any piece of data by giving it the
> row number and column name.  So, if we wanted to obtain the Street of
> > the 6th row, we would say something like:
> > =

> > sorted_result [6]['Street']
> =

> Others have pointed out some of the externally available modules
> (e.g., dtuple), but it's also pretty simple to just write your own
> function to do it.  Here's a sample of a function that is given
> a cursor with a command previously executed, and automatically
> processes the fetchall() into a list of dictionaries.  Far less
> generic than something like dtuple, but it does meet your above goals:

Another possibility is to use the PgResultSet object from pyPgSQL =

(http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net).  This object acts as a list or a dictio=
nary. =

 It also exposes the result columns as attributes by column name, making =
it =

possible to reference columns using:

	given: result =3D cursor.fetchall("select * from Address")

1.	result[6][2]		/* accessed as a list */
2.	result[6]['street']	/* accessed as a dictionary */
3.	result[6].street	/* accessed as an attribute */

- -- =