[DB-SIG] Any standards beyond DB API?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 00:37:15 +0100

"Dittmar, Daniel" wrote:

> Now that the DB API module for SAP DB nears completition:

Do you have a URL ? I'd be very interested in SAP connectivity...
(or is SAP DB too low-level to communicate with an existing SAP R/3
installation ?).

The URL for the Python DB interface I found was:

	http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/

Unfortunately, it's only for Python 1.5.2. With the current Python
development cycle of around 6 months / release, I think you should
consider using distutils to keep up to date. A distribution for
Unix or at least Linux would also be a great thing to have -- at
least as commercial offering.

> are there any features which weren't put into the spec because it was deemed
> too complex, but which several drivers implement anyway, possibly in a
> similar way?
>
> - configurable automatic translation of SQL values to Python values
> depending on the type (especially for Date, Time and Timestamp)
> - catalog information
> - handling of Blobs/Clobs

The DB API was kept simple by design with the goal of allowing
many different backends to be developed. As for the above category
of questions, I think only mxODBC (see my Python Pages) exposes
these. The semantics of mxODBC are closely related to the ODBC
standard, so this may be a good reference for your implementation.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg