[DB-SIG] Consistent connection to Oracle

Jekabs Andrushaitis j.andrusaitis@konts.lv
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:37:01 +0200

I noticed that I hit Reply, not Reply All button only AFTER I did send my
reply,
and I was too lazy to repost the message to the list :) Sorry

> it's ok and looks obviuos to me ;-)
> the only my point is [possible] quirks in _oracle's_ own libs.
> and these quirks are not reproducable on _all_ platforms.
I have been using Oracle along with Python in another application (not Web
related),
but the environment for it is quite similar to that of
Apache+Python+Oracle -
I have a TUXEDO server application (TUXEDO is a transaction monitor from
BEA, but
thats not the important thing), which is written in C and has linked with
Python and
interprets some parts of application which are written in Python. I use
pre-historic non-DBAPI 2
compliant Python Oracle module with my own patches (this is the reason I
cannot yet
use DCOracle :( ) with persistant connection to DB.
This scenario is working fine in 7.3, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 9i under Solaris and
HP-UX, as well
as 8.1.7 and 9i under Linux. (For Oracle 8.1.7 I have tried threaded mode
too, and for
most part it does work - on Linux Python sometimes runs itself into problems
with threads,
but doesnt seem it has something to do with Oracle)

> i'm now not using mod_python.
> i use php to write oracle apps... well, this might not be the best choice.
> btw, could you please compare the performance of mod_python versus php?
I dont have running PHP here right now, but back when I visually compared
the
performance PHP was doing work done a little faster, however I decided to
sacrifice
that little for all the features Python gives - heavy Object-Oriented
dynamic content mostly :)

> is there a patch for that?
It can be made by yourself without much trouble - just look at the Python
libs of mod_python,
and you will find comments like - comment this out to prevent module
reloading (btw,
not loading modules for each request gives about 300% performance boost, and
is best
for production site where you do not change Python code of server
regularly).

jEECHA