[DB-SIG] Mirroring DBs with Python

Tom Bryan tbryan@starship.beopen.com
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 18:29:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Tom Bryan wrote:

[...snip...]

> > Hmm...does that mean that you have a user account on the database?  That
> > is, can you login to the Oracle database yourself?
>
> Well, presumably we would set up a user account on the Oracle database
> for this purpose. I suspected that this would probably work, and since
> a couple people have given the same opinion I'll dig in and figure out
> the specifics with the folks who own the Oracle DB.

Good.  I wasn't sure whether the people who owned the Oracle database were
a involved with this effort, or whether you were mirroring their data
without their cooperation.

> > There are multiple ways to accomplish this task, and the way you choose
> > depends at least partially on the details of your situation.  Here's one
> > example:
> > 1. You have Oracle for Linux installed on your machine.
> > 2. You have Postgre/My-SQL for Linux installed on your machine.
> > 3. You build DCOracle on your machine.
> > 4. You bulid the Postgre/My-SQL Python extensions on your machine.
> > 5. You write a Python program to
> >  a) log into the other database to extract the data
> >  b) log into your database to populate the data
>
> I don't really have enough details to figure out which is the best
> approach, but I suspect that it would be easiest to run the query on
> the remote machine and save the result to a flat text file that could
> be imported into our local DB.

Maybe, but if you have an Oracle guru, then you should be able to install
the client libraries for Oracle, build something like DCOracle or mxODBC,
and connect across the network.  I suppose that part of the question is
whether your primary goal is "get it done" or "learn as much as
possible."  :)

> Thanks to you and others who provided helpful feeback. I'll let you
> all know how it works out.

Thanks.  I always like to hear new hack^H^H^H^Htricks to add to my bag.
;-)

---Tom