[DB-SIG] Mirroring DBs with Python

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:29:18 -0500 (CDT)

Hi everyone,

I'm interested is putting Python to work at my school doing what would seem
to be a relatively straight-forward task. I'd appreciate it if someone would
comment on the feasiblity of this or the best general approach.

Let's assume I've got Oracle running on Solaris at a remote site, accessible
via the Internet. The database is made of many tables with data referring to
many different schools. I'd like to do a query on that remote database,
pulling out the data that refers to my school only, and mirror the results
to a local DB running on Linux while maintaining the exact same table
structure. The local DB would likely be PostgreSQL or MySQL. (The overall
goal is to make that data accessible via Zope.) That local DB could be
read-only.

Does this sound reasonable?

Would it make a difference if Oracle was on NT instead of Solaris?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/