[DB-SIG] Next Version [was Re: Preparing statement API]

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:40:44 +0100

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > Cool. I'll keep it in mind for the next version of the
> > DB API spec. BTW, are there any other things which should
> > be done for the next version ?
>
> Things I (as a user) would like to see:
>
>     Common call to enable/disable autocommit. Default would have to be
>     'driver specific' for compatibility. Drivers could simply throw
>     an exception if a programmer tries to set an unsupported mode.

Hmm, not all DBs provide transactions and even those that
do sometimes have different thoughts about what isolation
level to choose as default.

I don't think we'll ever have a common API for transaction
mechanisms... I guess this remains for the abstraction layer
to be implemented.

>     A common parameter style supported by all drivers. Or a method
>     that convers 'generic' parameter style to 'paramstyle' parameter
>     style.

Dito.

>     Whatever additions Digital Creations requires to enable a Generic
>     ZopeDA to be written that supports all compliant Python Database API
>     drivers (well... drivers that don't throw an exception when
>     con.autocommit(0) is called).

Note that as soon as you deal with DB managers such as ODBC
managers, you don't know about transaction capabilities of
a DB until you connect to it.

Why does Zope rely on the DB doing transactions ? I thought it
had its own transaction mechanism ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg