[DB-SIG] Please some clarification of DB Spec 2.0

Jose de Leon jadiel@thevision.net
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:17:15 -0800

Hello!

I apologize if I ask questions asked many times before.  I'd search the
archives but my connetion to the python site is VERY slow.

First:
a) I'm new to python.
b) I'm new to the Python DB Spec 2.0.

I'm creating a database module interface.  But before I code it python.  I'm
trying to code it in C++, a language I know much better.  I then intend to
use SWIG to convert the C++ code to python.  Possibly by creating a python
shadow wrapper.

One of the items I need clarification on is "sequence".

What exactly is a sequence and how can I relate that to a C++ datatype?
From what I can gather from "Programming Python" by O'Reilly is that it is a
string with delimiters.  Or it could be an array?

The specific specification from the DB Spec 2.0 that confuses me is the
description for a the "description" method of a Cursor object.

It explains:

description
    This read-only attribute is a sequence of 7-item sequences....etc.

Likewise, the description for "fetchone()" method also confuses me on how to
return the data.  Should the data be returned in an array?

Thanks,
Jose de Leon