[DB-SIG] problems with informixdb

Thomas Bryan tbryan@arlut.utexas.edu
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:17:08 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Bernd Müller wrote:

> i have some problems in using informixdb on linux. Make works fine.
> But if i do a 'import informixdb' i get a lot of messages like:
> 'python: can't resolve symbol gl_xxx'
>
> I have moved _informixdb.so into /usr/lib!
>
> I am using informixdb.ec version 1.11 and informixdb.py version 1.3

That probably indicates that the correct libraries aren't all linked in.
It's probably finding the header files it needs but not linking in a
library or two.  What does the LIBS line of your Makefile look like?
You probably just need to add -lgls and/or -lglx to the LIBS line
somewhere.

What platform are you on?  On my Linux machine, I used this line
LIBS=-lasf -lsql -los -lgen -lgls -lglx -lcrypt
but on a Sun/Solaris machine
LIBS=-lixsql -lixasf -lixgen -lixos -lixgls
I don't know that much about the libraries, but those were the ones I
used.  I just built them yesterday and haven't done extensive testing, but
I can "import informixdb" without an error.

By the way, is /usr/lib in your PYTHONPATH?  You might want to leave
_informixdb.so and informixdb.py in the current directory when you first
test it.  The module should work if the module files are in the directory
where you start python.  You can worry about moving them to the "right
place" when you're sure everything works.

Has anyone heard from Bertil Reinhammar recently?  I wonder whether he's
still maintaining this module.  The readme is dated March 1997!

Tom Bryan
Applied Research Laboratories
University of Texas at Austin