[DB-SIG] Python 2.0 DB Api - Threading and Transactions not known until connected

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:54:21 -0400

On 27 Aug 99, at 12:53, Hernán Martínez Foffani wrote:

> > 4. Hence, users that never call commit(), can not really use the DB
> > because none of their changes will ever be saved.
> well, they CAN use it. As a matter of fact it is a trick that many
> programmers, me included, use: You can "try and see (and time!)"
> different algorithms in production environment safely.
>

> > Is this correct? Should I therefore assume that all DB users will
> > ALWAYS call connection.commit (or  rollback), and that NO ONE will
> > ever try to use the DB without using connection.commit?
> Don't forget that users can turn AutoCommit ON.

Ok, I see. If they don't turn on auto-commit, and if they don't call
connection.commit, then their changes are rolled back when closing the
connection.

But .. the mechanism to enable auto-commit is not documented in the
DB spec. Should a standard be defined for 2.1 of the spec?

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               ICQ: 14856937