[DB-SIG] Re: Python and Oracle

cjr@euronet.nl cjr@euronet.nl
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:08:50 +0000 (WET)

My two cents, not with Oracle8 but seemingly related with Oracle7:

Using the libclntsh.so.1.0 that I have around for Oracle7.3.2.2 I can
do:

Python 1.5 (#8, Jan 19 1998, 19:46:22)  [GCC 2.7.2.2] on sunos5
>>> import oracledb
>>> conn = oracledb.oracledb('siteboost/mypasswd@develop')

But when prefixing this with http headers and running it as a CGI
script, I receive the dreaded ORA-01019-unable-to-allocate-memory-on-
the-user-side error.
A search in the database newsgroups for the phenomenon indicated that
the error is presumed to result from mixing library versions. Well, I
did some weird permutations of the available stuff in the Makefile,
running into ever different missing symbols.
On the other hand, it seems that my problem is caused by some ulimit
imposed by apache on CGI scripts.

I'm clueless and just about ready to talk my boss into shedding this
oracle thing and stepping over to gadfly ;-).

cjr