[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495 and the hardest problem in computer science

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:51:56 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> > Note that the result of conversion to UTC is different for t0 and t1
> > when they are interpreted as NY times, but the same when they are
> > interpreted as London time.
>
> I'm pretty sure you just proved *my* point - that the flag is
> meaningless outside of the timezone the time was originally created for
> [or timezones that happen to have an identical fold] - so maybe I didn't
> explain it clearly in the first place.

It is not meaningless.  It is used to detect whether a datetime instance is
special in the system timezone.

> It seems to go against the concept of a naive time to contain data that
> is only relevant to some specific timezone.

Yes, there was some resistance to the notion that naive may mean system
timezone in some cases.  This ship has sailed, though.  If you have any
specific suggestions for how PEP 495 features can be better explained in
the documentation, I would be glad to hear them.  If you are unhappy about
some aspects of the design, I am afraid you are a year late to make your
point.