[Datetime-SIG] IANA TZ database statistics

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 17:11:48 CEST 2015

> [Alex]

> This is not about wrapping IANA's tzdist.  This is about implementing PEP
> > 495 features using POSIX APIs.
> [Tim]
> Specifically which features?  Do you just mean .astimezone() treating
> a naive datetime as being in the system zone, and the absence of any
> argument implying the system zone?  Or more than just that?

Also, .timestamp() respecting the fold attribute and datetime.now() and
datetime.fromtimestamp() setting the fold attribute appropriately.  In all
these cases one needs to know how far the transition point is from a given
time.

> >> [Tim]
> >> In that case, "best" is returning what the IANA database
> >> says should be returned in all cases.

The database itself does not say anything about what should be returned by
various tools, but I would interpret that as "whatever zdump returns."

> > [Alex]

> Which version of  IANA database?

[Tim]
> If it's still relevant, the only version any user cares about:  the
> one that happens to be installed on their machine ;-)

I don't think Windows comes with any, but I know close to nothing about
Windows.