[Datetime-SIG] Adding PEP 495 support to dateutil

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 19:36:30 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Paul Ganssle <paul at ganssle.io> wrote:

> I haven't had time to read the PEP or the discussion on the matter, so
> maybe this has already been considered, but would make for a simpler
> interface if an unspecified value for fold left the old behavior intact.

Yes this have been considered and there is a section [1] on this in the
PEP.  TL;DR: There will be no way to spell "fold=unspecified."  We decided
to change the current disambiguation rule (default to STD) because it does
not work for roll-back transitions that don't change isdst.  Furthermore,
this rule is only needed to make default fromutc() work, but post-PEP
tzinfos will have to override that method anyways.

[1]: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0495/#backward-compatibility