[Datetime-SIG] The BDFL's take

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:41:58 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you insist on hammering nails with a pillow - don't be surprised when
> you don't get the desired results.  And don't blame it on the pillow either -
> it does what it is designed to do.

All you are saying now, probably completely unintentionally, is that
dateutils timezone implementation is useless.

> Problem: Find local time in New York one astronomical hour after
> "2014-11-02T01:30-0400".

That's not the problem. The problem is "I want to add one hour to a
time zone aware datetime".
The solution with the current implementation is to convert it to UTC,
add one hour and convert it back. I think that's a very poor solution.

> What do you want to improve here?

I think adding one hour to a timezone aware date time should result in
a date time that is one hour later. Your solution does not do that,
and involves converting between two timezones, one that is irrelevant
for the question, and the other that you have to set as an environment
variable.

I have no idea why you think that is constructive, and therefore I
have tried to ignore it, but that just result in you reposting it over
and over, so that clearly didn't work.

//Lennart