[Datetime-SIG] PEP-0500 (Alternative datetime arithmetic) Was: PEP 495 ... is ready ...

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Aug 22 23:35:39 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 1:38 PM, ISAAC J SCHWABACHER <ischwabacher at wisc.edu>
wrote:

> The problem with abbreviations like "CET" isn't that they don't represent
> time zones; the problem is that they're not unique.

exactly -- and I don't know what vocabulary we should use, but maybe a nice
recursive definition for this discussion:

A timezone is the thing that a tzinfo object represents" would do it.

but then I don't know what words to use to describe the other "things" we
need to talk about...

> CST is probably Central Standard Time... unless it's China Standard Time
> or Cuba Standard Time.  There are plenty of other examples.  We can't stop
> people from using these, and we shouldn't refuse to support them out of
> spite, but if we present to users one obvious way to do it that forces us
> to guess in the face of this ambiguity, I'd argue that that's bad design.

Is anyone pr0posing that?

I know I find notations like "EST" helpful in daily life:

This memo was written at "5:27pm EDT"

It's clear to an American, anyway, what that means (and I"m from Seattle,
but happen to be in Boston now, so it's actually kind of helpful :-) )

But those notations are strictly one way streets -- not very useful if you
want to construct an aware datetime instance from them -- at least without
more info.

Do pytz or datetutils let you construct a tzinfo instance from "EST" or the
like?

(if the answer is no -- no need to drag the thread out...)

-CHB

> ijs
>

> Top-posted from Microsoft Outlook Web App; may its designers be consigned
> for eternity to that circle of hell in which their dog food is consumed.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov