[Cython] [ENH] Compile-time code execution (macros / templates)

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:29:10 EST 2021

1) My suggestion would only run some standard python code during the
compilation. Running the cdef functions at compile-time doesn't have to
be supported. At least not for a first version.

Even if it gets supported, calling external functions (written in C)
doesn't have to be supported either. If only running the cdef functions
is supported, then it means cython has the full code and would "only"
have to implement the C semantics in python. And actually, not the whole
C semantics has to be supported. The language D has quite some
restrictions on the code that can run at compile-time. Especially when
it comes to pointers.

But first, running only python code seems quite doable.

2) That's something I didn't elaborate on in my initial message to keep
it short (kinda). But indeed, some compile-time functions just wouldn't
make sens at runtime. Especially, `twice` and `make_ptr_class` wouldn't
as far as I can tell, because returning a cdef function or class at run
time doesn't really make sens right now. (Maybe in the future if cython
support compiling closures to C?)

I guess some kind annotations would be necessary to mark a function (or
maybe even a class?) as "compile-time only". Of course, other functions
and classes might make sens to be used at compile-time and at run-time.

The only thing I'm not sure about, is how to determine what should get
evaluated at compile-time. A few places in the code should probably get
automatically arked for CTFE, like decorators on cdef functions.

IIRC, D uses "enum" to declare a compile-time constant. But this only
solves half the issue. What about top-level code evaluation, like the
`if os =="windows"` example?
Maybe this could be wrapped in a function evaluated at compile-time. And
thuse only function evaluation would be requred.
Something like this:

@cython.ctfe_only
def choice_thread_something(os):
	if os == "windows":
		cdef thread_something():
			# Windows behavior
	else:
		cdef thread_something():
			# POSIX behavior
	return thread_something

ctfe thread_something = choice_thread_something(os)

Where the "ctfe" keyword would play a similar role to "enum" in D and
force the evaluation of the right hand side during the compilation.

As a technical detail, the "cdef" lines that define the thread_something
functions could be remplaced during the compilation by some python code
like:
thread_something = CdefFunction(...)

And the calling line `ctfe thread_something = ...` would just insert the
returned object into the AST. All the remaining (non-CTFE) code would
be converted to code that build the AST.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Celelibi