[Cython] Status

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jan 31 00:43:02 EST 2020

On 31/01/20 10:00 am, John Skaller2 wrote:
> It works. Why Python would look for a linux extension only on MacOS I have no idea.

It's not really a Linux extension. It goes back to when shared
libraries first appeared in BSD, from which large parts of MacOSX
are derived, and MacOSX also recognises it as a valid extension
for dynamically linked object files. I guess the Python developers
didn't think it was worth making a distinction between different
flavours of unix in this area.

The mystery to me is why MacOSX introduced .dylib instead of
sticking with .so.

--
Greg