[Cython] Preparing the language level change - Re: [cython-users] Cython 0.29 beta 1 released

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Sep 20 01:55:57 EDT 2018

Jeroen Demeyer schrieb am 18.09.2018 um 10:23:
> On 2018-09-16 17:48, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> * Cython now emits a warning when no ``language_level`` (2 or 3) is set
>>    explicitly
>
> Currently, language_level=3 breaks a lot of code due to unicode_literals.
> As I mentioned a few times, it would be good to have a way to specify
> "language_level=3 except for unicode_literals". Ideally, this option should
> exist before 0.29 is released.

I can see that this would be helpful. It's unfortunate, though, that this
would introduce a temporary option that complicates the current integer
"language_level". Meaning, we'd introduce something now that we then can't
get rid of for…ever. And it seems to me like a separate directive wouldn't
solve this either because it's not really orthogonal to the language level.

Any idea?