[Cython] Cython 0.29 – or 29.0 ?

Julian Rüth julian.rueth at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 15 11:17:32 EDT 2018

Hello Stefan,

* Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> [2018-08-15 16:49:58 +0200]:
> I think it's time to leave the 0.x behind us and make it clear that it's a
> reliable programming language that won't easily change in a major code
> breaking way anymore.

it's true that the 0. prefix gives the impression that cython is not
ready for production. So I think it's a great idea to change that.

> What do you think?

As someone who is involved in packaging for several Linux distros, I
really like semantic versioning [1]. In that scheme the next version
could be 1.29.0 and I could relatively safely make packages depend on
`cython >= 1.29, <2` without having to check with every release if there
has been a (major) breaking change.

julian

[1] https://semver.org/