[Cython] Migration of tickets from trac to github

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Fri Jul 29 00:50:28 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Robert Bradshaw schrieb am 29.07.2016 um 00:33:
>> Please see https://github.com/robertwb/issues-import-test/issues/ as
>> to what this would look like. (This is a partial import, due to github
>> API rate limiting issues.) Unless something looks terribly wrong, I'll
>> start the real migration shortly.
>
> Nice, also the formatting and tagging. And the milestone history also seems
> to have passed through nicely.

Thanks. FYI, I'm using https://github.com/trustmaster/trac2github .
(It's been a looong time since I've messed with php, but the couple of
Python ones were broken or not as feature complete...)

> My comments:
>
> Tags like "C: Code Generation" look like they are referring specifically to
> C-Code, but I guess you meant "C-omponent". Maybe change the abbreviation
> to M-odule or T-opic ?

The C is "component." Probably could simply drop the C altogether.

> Do we really need the empty "modified by" comments, e.g. here:
> https://github.com/robertwb/issues-import-test/issues/110

Hmm... I wonder if this was an ownership change (that was having
trouble exporting).

> This looks a bit overly empty:
> https://github.com/robertwb/issues-import-test/issues/55

Yeah, that was empty before.

> When I click on one of the "migrated from" links to "trac.cython.org", I
> get redirected back to github, but with the trac ticket number, which means
> I get either a 404 or a totally different ticket on github. I guess that
> can be fixed once we have a mapping from trac ticket numbers to github tickets.

Yep. Had we not had any issues, we could have maybe kept the numbers,
but it's too late for that now.

I'm not quite sure how to serve the mappings--I'd rather not run a
service just for that. One idea is a custom 404 page with javascript?
Or I suppose there's a finite number, so we could just a static for
each one in the site in a ticket subdirectory.

> Related to that: converted ticket #73 has a reference to another trac
> ticket (#51) in a comment, which now links to the (wrong) github ticket #51.
> https://github.com/robertwb/issues-import-test/issues/73

Hmm... I should spell that out.

> Also, the formatting is broken in the description of that ticket (#73).
> Might already have been a problem in trac.

The spaces were there, the code markers weren't. Doesn't seem too
common. I think we'll have to fix some one-offs.

> And again #73: there is a link to the old hg repo in a comment. I guess we
> might simply not be able to recover the old hg changeset IDs to provide a
> mapping of those to the corresponding github changeset URLs, right?

Yeah, that's a bit harder. (With an old hg repo, one could probably
recover the mapping using temestamps and/or description+author...)