[Cython] Cython infrastructure

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:23:25 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Dima Pasechnik
<dimpase+github at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Baptiste Carvello
> <devel at baptiste-carvello.net> wrote:
>> Le 20/07/2016 08:01, Robert Bradshaw a écrit :
>>
>>> trac.cython.org
>>> This is probably the most controversial, but I think it makes sense to
>>> migrate to github issues. While clearly not as powerful, featureful,
>>> or customizable as trac, it seems it would fulfill our modest needs. I
>>> am happy to do the migration if no one objects.
>>
>> I suppose the dev guide will be updated with advice on how users without
>> a Github ID should report and interact with issues. It may lead to more
>> issues-related discussion on this mailing list.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Baptiste
>>
>> For avoidance of doubt: "subscribe to Github" is not an acceptable
>> answer, given that this means consenting to be tracked, not only inside
>> the Cython project, but also across projects.
>
> Github is not spyware, IMHO. It would be good to understand which of these:
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/github-privacy-policy/
>
> you have a problem with.
>
> Yes, you will need to allow cookies in your browser.
> Anything else seems to be irrelevant.

+1

I'm a big advocate of privacy, and informed consent when choosing to
give any of it away (e.g. allowing linking of activities to build a
(pseudonymous or not) reputation). Personally, I'm actually quite
happy to have my activities on github correlated with my identity.
(Actually, it's a net plus, not a concession.)

Of course you can always set up any number of unrelated pseudonyms on
github, delete cookies, use incognito mode, and even do everything via
tor if you really want.

However, while "Subscribe to Github" is a perfectly reasonable answer,
and one that would in practice include more people than it would
exclude (compared to our current system, or many alternatives), it's
not like we're going to suddenly refuse all discussions of bugs on the
mailing lists. We're low enough volume to be flexible. A real bug
tracker is simply more useful for tracking issues than an inbox.

Does this alleviate your concerns?

- Robert