[Cython] can we deprecate for-from loops?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:51:22 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Josh Ayers <josh at ayers.pw> wrote:
> When the step size is a variable, the range statement falls back to a
> Python for loop since the direction of the loop is unknown.  The "i from
> a <= i < b by c" syntax specifies the direction, so it is turned into a
> C for loop.  The difference is performance could be substantial.
>
> This produces a Python for loop:
>
> def python_loop(Py_ssize_t a, Py_ssize_t b, Py_ssize_t c):
>     cdef Py_ssize_t i
>     for i in range(a, b, c):
>         pass

I thought we had fixed that... apparently not. Doable (e.g. multiply
a, b, c, and then i by the sign of c, checking for 0 of course) but
messy.

> This produces a C for loop:
>
> def c_loop(Py_ssize_t a, Py_ssize_t b, Py_ssize_t c):
>     cdef Py_ssize_t i
>     for i from a <= i < b by c:
>         pass

Ah, there is a slight semantic difference: this will be an infinite
for...from loop if c is not positive (and a < b), but an empty
for...in loop for range.

However, there's another catch: for...from can be used with
non-integral values (doubles, pointers, ...) Unless we wanted to
introduce, say, something like cython.crange it may be more painful to
force users to express that as while loops.

I was hoping to get rid of it, but now I'm not sure it'd be that easy.