[Cython] heads-up on master branch status

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Jul 28 20:15:56 CEST 2014

Robert Bradshaw, 15.07.2014 23:13:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> by applying some initially small but perpetually growing fixes, I pushed
>> myself into a corner where the only escape was to rewrite BoolBinopNode
>> (short-circuiting and/or expressions). This was long overdue anyway and
>> simply wasn't done before because it's not trivial and quite risky. I think
>> I got it working better than before, but there are still corner cases that
>> require some further fighting. One of them currently crashes the pyregr
>> tests in Py2.7 [...]
>
> Ironically, I noticed these BoolBinop failures and started working on a fix
> myself (including side diversions like making void* the spanning type of
> all pointers) before noticing that you were on it, so I have a bit of an
> idea what a long, twisty path this starts down and can only say thanks for
> taking this on.

It looks like I got all corner cases fixed that I could find anywhere on
Jenkins (and I definitely broke enough builds along the way). That brings
master back to a state where I think we should plan for an alpha release to
get testing on user side as well.

Regarding the void* spanning type, it's currently only used for
independently inferred types for the operands of conditional and and/or
expressions. I don't see a reason not to enable it for all type inference
cases, though. Any objections to that?