[Cython] License information on each individual files

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 23:53:48 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Benjamin Lerman <qsr at chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> >>  Would cython accept to add such a copyright header on its files?
> >
> > You want to display the Apache licence in every single file, even those
> > with utility C code?
>
> It's annoying, but a pretty standard request. Debian once made me do
> this for some package or another (forget which) before they would
> distribute it, though obviously that rule is inconsistently applied.
> Still, it's pretty trivial and has real-world consequences, so why
> reject a patch like this?

Debian currently distributes Cython without these headers.

I am curious why a licence in a top level directory that explicitly states
it applies to everything in that directory is not sufficiently clear. What
about auto-generated files? What about binary blobs? All 1000+ test files?

http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#copy-per-file

- Robert