[Cython] Move IPython's cython extension to cython

Martín Gaitán gaitan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:55:32 CEST 2014

As you probably know, IPython has a "cython magic" [1], an extension to
interface ipython with cython, allowing to use cython code in the
interactive session.

Originally, few of these "language specific magics" (R, cython, octave,
etc) were included builtin in IPython, but then the IPython core developers
decided break out them (with fair arguments IMHO [2]), either to be
included in the "language package" they depend on or as a third party
extensions.

At the moment,  cython-magic is the only one language specific extension
left to move.
The rest were moved to the packages they depend on [3]

So, this message is to ask if the Cython project would like to import this
code, task that  Brian Grangrer (the author of the cython-magic extension
and IPython core dev)  entrusted me [3].

Of course, I could help you preparing a PR that migrate the module, its
tests and documentation, preserving the git history as far as possible.

let me know your opinion/decision

 cheers
Martin.

[1] http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/config/extensions/cythonmagic.html