[Cython] libc.string msvc incompatibility

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 16:56:25 CEST 2013

When trying to use strcasecmp from libc.string I get an error compiling with
msvc:

error C3861: 'strcasecmp': identifier not found

It seems MS have decided to call it by another name - _stricmp

...amongst others:

http://botsikas.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/strcasecmp-identifier-not-found-
when.html

I'm wondering if it's possible for cython to include the mentioned ifdef
defines by default or otherwise solve the problem so that code is portable
between compilers on Windows? I understand if it's not a high priority issue.

The workaround is for me to make sure all our code compiles with mingw which
was on the radar anyway.

Thanks,
Dave