[Cython] SEP 201 draft: Native callable objects

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Thu May 31 22:13:05 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 08:50 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
>> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no>  wrote:
>>>
>>> [Discussion on numfocus at googlegroups.com please]
>>>
>>> I've uploaded a draft-state SEP 201 (previously CEP 1000):
>>>
>>> https://github.com/numfocus/sep/blob/master/sep201.rst
>>>
>>> """
>>> Many callable objects are simply wrappers around native code. This holds
>>> for
>>> any Cython function, f2py functions, manually written CPython extensions,
>>> Numba, etc.
>>>
>>> Obviously, when native code calls other native code, it would be nice to
>>> skip the significant cost of boxing and unboxing all the arguments.
>>> """
>>>

>>> The thread about this on the Cython list is almost endless:
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/13416/focus=13443
>>>
>>> There was a long discussion on the key-comparison vs. interned-string
>>> approach. I've written both up in SEP 201 since it was the major point of
>>> contention. There was some benchmarks starting here:
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/13416/focus=13443
>>>
>>> And why provide a table and not a get_function_pointer starting here:
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/13416/focus=13443
>>>
>>> For those who followed that and don't want to read the entire spec, the
>>> aspect of flags is new. How do we avoid to duplicate entries/check
>>> against
>>> two signatures for cases like a GIL-holding caller wanting to call a
>>> nogil
>>> function? My take: For key-comparison you can compare under a mask, for
>>> interned-string we should have additional flags field.
>>>
>>> The situation is a bit awkward: The Cython list consensus (well, me and
>>> Robert Bradshaw) decided on what is "Approach 1" (key-comparison) in SEP
>>> 201. I pushed for that.
>>>
>>> Still, now that a month has passed, I just think key-comparison is too
>>> ugly,
>>> and that the interning mechanism shouldn't be *that* hard to code up,
>>> probably 500 lines of C code if one just requires the GIL in a first
>>> iteration, and that keeping the spec simpler is more important.
>>>
>>> So I'm tentatively proposing Approach 2.
>>

>> I'm still not convinced that a hybrid approach, where signatures below
>> some cutoff are compiled down to keys, is not a worthwhile approach.
>> This gets around variable-length keys (both the complexity and
>> possible runtime costs for long keys) and allows simple libraries to
>> produce and consume fast callables without participating in the
>> interning mechanism.
>
> I still think this gives us the "worst of both worlds", all the
> disadvantages and none of the advantages.

It avoids the one of the primary disadvantage of keys, namely the
variable length complexity.

> How many simple libraries are there really? Cython on one end, the
> magnificently complicated NumPy ufuncs on the other? Thinking big, perhaps
> PyPy and Julia? Cython, PyPy, Julia would all have to deal with long
> signatures anyway. And NumPy ufuncs are already complicated so even more
> low-level stuff wouldn't hurt.

I was thinking of, for example, a differential equation solver written
in C, C++, or Fortran that could take a PyNativeCallableTable*
directly, primarily avoiding welding this spec to Python.