[Cython] [Python-Dev] C-level duck typing

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Mon May 28 17:31:14 CEST 2012

On 05/28/2012 01:24 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM, mark florisson
> <markflorisson88 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 28 May 2012 12:01, Nathaniel Smith<njs at pobox.com>  wrote:

>>> Oh, I see. Right, the natural way to handle this would be have each
>>> user define their own metaclass with the behavior they want. Another
>>> argument for supporting multiple metaclasses simultaneously I guess...
>>>
>>> - N
>>
>> That bludgeons your constant time type check.
>
> Not if you steal a flag, like the interpreter already does with
> Py_TPFLAGS_INT_SUBCLASS, Py_TPFLAGS_STRING_SUBCLASS, etc. I was
> referring to that argument I made earlier :-)
>
>> It's easier to just
>> reserve an extra slot for a deallocator pointer :) It would probably
>> be set to NULL in the common case anyway, since you allocate your
>> slots statically.

Subclassing: Note that even if all types has to have a PyHeapTypeObject
structure, they are still statically allocated! So for statically
created subclasses (which should be the majority of the cases), there's
not going to be any deallocator...

I agree that there should be a PyExtensibleType_Ready. To keep
allocating statically I propose that the subclass should leave some room
open for slots from the superclass:

PyCustomSlot subclass_custom_slots[10] = {
   {SLOT_C, foo}, {SLOT_D, BAR}, {0,0}, ...
}

Then, fill in etp_count=2, etp_custom_slots=subclass_custom_slots, and
then call PyExtensibleType_Ready(&Subclass_Type, 10); i.e., the number
of total elements in etp_custom_slots is passed in.

One should always leave more room than one thinks one needs if the
superclass is from another library...

Then, inheritance happens according to the following rules:

  - Slots are inherited from superclass
  - Slots in subclass with same ID overwrites superclass
  - Slots from superclass are put before slots from subclass
  - Exception raised if the number of final slots is larger than the
limit passed in to PyExtensibleType_Ready.

(Whenever this is not sufficient, you can always manually munge the
table after PyExtensibleType_Ready.)

Question: How to deal with possible flag bits in the ID?

Three approaches:

  a) Forget about the flags-in-ID idea; if you want flags, stick them in
the data

  b) Embed a seperate variable for flags in every PyCustomSlot

  c) Standardize on a *hard* requirement on the bottom 8 bits being
flags while the top 24 bits indicate incompatible slots; so for the
purposes of inheritance, 0x12345601 would overwrite 0x12345600.

To me, b) is OK, but the 32 bit ID space is already so ridiculously huge
that c) is a "why not"? -1 on a), it'd be rather tedious if the payload
is an offset to the PyObject*.

Subclassing in heap-allocated types (subclasses Python side): It'd
certainly be nice to completely ignore this for now and require making a
sub-metaclass to support this (e.g., have tp_new parse some
__customslots__ attribute in the class dict).

Hijacking a TP_FLAG: We could make the branch for a direct hit on
metaclass comparison likely(), so that the branch checking tp_base on
the metaclass unlikely(), which with branch prediction I think makes it
very likely that there's no penalty for allowing sub-metaclasses (when
you don't use them -- when you do, there's a slight penalty).

But here's another great argument in favour of a TP_FLAG bit: Consumers
would then not need to import the metaclass or contain its definition
(which is really only around in case the user imports the consumer
before the provider...). This would make the header file the consumers
need to bundle much lighter. So I think I'm +1.

At any rate, I would like the metaclass rendezvous to keep happening
just because it's less confusing if "extensibletype is extensibletype"
in general.

Anyway, the metaclass checking is a nice fallback if CPython uses all
their flag bits.

Dag