[Cython] Metaclasses to generate cdef'ed Classes

c. valmynd at gmail.com
Fri May 25 12:53:08 CEST 2012

I make excessive use of Meta Classes and I would like to be
able to use them with Classes that use the cclass Annotation.

Well I don't think it is impossible to do, althrough of cause
I am aware that there are many issues with a higher priority right now.
Here are some ideas of how this could be accomplished:

- evaluate cdef-Classes which are using a Metaclass before any other classes
- create temporary pyd and pyx files for any cdef-class that uses cdef-metaclasses
- those temporary classes need to be re-evaluated if anything changes
  in the original

Benefits:

- Once the Extension Module is built, there would be no need to do
  process the creation/manipulation via metaclasses, thus reduce startup
  time for application
- Have all the benefits of cdef-Classes, like lower memory footprint,
  when there might be hundreds of those classes with lots of data in them
- Have all the benefits of python beeing both very dynamic and flexible
  and simple to use

What do you think?

Btw., Thank you all for this great Project

C.Wilhelm

trac ticket: http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/ticket/777