[Cython] some pull requests for 0.16?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:52:47 CET 2012

One more note about release numbering, ideally no 0.x.y release should
be in any way backwards incompatible.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:

> IMO, the ideal would be to release 0.16 now and 0.16.1 in a couple of weeks,
> but I respect that this depends on how much more additional work the release
> manager feels that involves.

Shorter release cycles should mean less work. I'd be all for a 0.16.1
shortly following a 0.16 (and a 0.16.2 not long after that). IMHO
we've gone way to long (partially my fault) since 0.15.1.

> I agree that we should wait for the patch that was started on for that bug,
> bringing in new developers is the most important thing we can do and
> satisfying users who don't live on trunk is less important than that.

In your experience, how many people live on trunk? I think most people
only upgrade to stable releases, and this is certainly what lives in
the standard distributions/package repositories.

Well, we don't want to release with the bug, and if that's the only
thing, than I wouldn't want to wait too long on it before a release
(though disabling the optimization and getting a proper fix in later
is fine). I agree that encouraging and enabling new developers is very
important (and in this particular case got the wrong impression that
Mike wasn't looking at it).

- Robert