[Cython] OS X 10.7 Lion: GCC __builtin_expect unrecognized inside OpenMP blocks

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 10:51:51 CET 2012

On 10 March 2012 03:41, mark florisson <markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 March 2012 14:22, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm basically experiencing the issues here:
>> http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/xcode/310299-error-calling-builtin-expect-inside-omp-parallel-for.html
>>
>> Can you imagine any way to workaround it?
>
> What a lovely C compiler bug... Did you file a bug report with gcc or
> xcode? What version of gcc does Lion ship with?

I'm using a Mac just by accident, no idea (nor motivation) to report
bugs to Apple.

$ gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.
build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00)

Could that be the the bug is actually in the LLVM backend?

> I suppose the macro would have to be disabled for OS X Lion inside
> parallel sections (there seems to be __APPLE__ and __OSX__, I don't
> know about detecting the OS X version), that's easy to do (undef and
> redefine to no-ops before parallel section and redefine it again after
> the section). I'll try fixing it during the sprints next week.

Perhaps switching to use a "omp_likely"/"omp_unlikely" macros inside
OpenMP blocks would be nicer than defining/undefining?

--
Lisandro Dalcin