[Cython] failing memory view tests in Python 2.4/5

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:15:05 CEST 2012

On 17 July 2012 09:58, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> mark florisson, 10.07.2012 11:20:
>> On 10 July 2012 08:24, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> I've fixed some of the errors that current block the tests. The remaining
>>> failures in the memory view tests exist in both Py2.4 and 2.5, which hints
>>> at a problem with the buffer support in numpy.pxd.
>>>
>>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-tests/BACKEND=c,PYVERSION=py25-ext/504/testReport/
>>>
>>> The memslice test failure is annoying. It looks like slice() fails to
>>> properly deep-copy in Py2.[45]. I don't know if we can do anything about
>>> this, seems more like a CPython bug. Deep copying is used to split function
>>> definitions for fused types and I guess slice objects are used in
>>> combination with the memory slices. So both don't currently work together
>>> in Py2.[45].
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I fixed the slice copying problem through a
>> __deepcopy__ overload a long time ago elsewhere. I don't think these
>> tests should be excluded from the test run yet.
>
> Ok.
>

>> Perhaps we should run
>> the 2x tests from py27 down to 2.4. Tests in newer python's are less
>> likely to fail.
>
> Test failures are bad in general, though. Just because you hear about them
> a couple of minutes later doesn't mean that they are less important.

If tests fail in a lower version and not a higher version it often
means an easy to fix version incompatibility (although sometimes,
especially with buffers and it's special casing, this is really not
true). But the point is you know whether something is broken in
general, or it's a version related thing, and that information in
itself is useful.

>>> I'd like to release a 0.17 alpha soon, so please get these sorted out in
>>> one way or another ASAP. I'm also fine with declaring these features
>>> unusable in older Python releases if we can't fix them, but it would
>>> obviously be better to get them working.
>>
>> I'll try to find some time this week.
>
> Any news from this?

Sorry to be holding this up, I've been busy. I don't want to make
promises, but I'll try again for the next few days.