[Cython] AddTraceback() slows down generators

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Jan 28 21:24:35 CET 2012

Vitja Makarov, 28.01.2012 20:58:
> 2012/1/28 mark florisson <markflorisson88 at gmail.com>:

>>> We already have --no-c-in-traceback flag that disables C line numbers
>>> in traceback.
>>> What's about enabling it by default?
>>>
>> I'm quite attached to that feature actually :), it would be pretty
>> annoying to disable that flag every time. And what would disabling
>> that option gain, as the current code still formats the filename and
>> function name.
>
> It's rather useful for developers or debugging. Most of the people
> don't need it.

Not untrue. However, at least a majority of developers should be able to
make use of it when it's there, and code is several times more often built
for testing and debugging than for production. So I consider it a virtue
that it's on by default.

> Here is simple benchmark:
> # upstream/master: 6.38ms
> # upstream/master (no-c-in-traceback): 3.07ms
> # scoder/master: 1.31ms
> def foo():
>     raise ValueError
>
> def testit():
>     cdef int i
>     for i in range(10000):
>         try:
>             foo()
>         except:
>             pass
>
> Stefan's branch wins but:
>  - there is only one item in the cache and it's always hit

Even if there were substantially more, binary search is so fast you'd
hardly notice the difference.

(BTW, I just noticed that my binary search implementation is buggy - not a
complete surprise. I'll add some tests for it.)

>  - we can still avoid calling PyString_FromString() making function
> name and source file name a python const (I've tried it and I get
> 2.28ms)

I wouldn't mind, but it would be nice to get lazy initialisation for them.