[Cython] CEP1000: Native dispatch through callables

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Sun Apr 15 11:13:51 CEST 2012

Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
><d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
>> On 04/15/2012 09:30 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>>
>>> Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 15.04.2012 08:58:

>specification

>caller
>type of
>caller
>dispatch

>parameters
>those if

>typed

>an

>of
>getting at

>types.
>result

>work
>>>

>>> It just occurred to me that an object's type can safely be
>represented at
>>> runtime as a pointer, i.e. an integer. Even if the type is heap
>allocated
>>> and replaced by another one later, a signature that uses that
>pointer
>>> value
>>> in its encoding would only ever match if both sides talk about the
>same
>>> type at call time (because at least one of them would hold a life
>>> reference
>>> to the type in order to actually use it).
>>

>> The missing piece here is that both me and Robert are huge fans of
>Go-style
>> polymorphism. If you haven't read up on that I highly recommend it,
>basic
>> idea is if you agree on method names and their signatures, you don't
>have to
>> have access to the same interface declaration (you don't have to call
>the
>> interface the same thing).
>
>Go style polymorphism is certainly a neat idea, but two points:
>
>- You can't do this kind of matching via signature comparison. If I
>have a type with methods "foo", "bar" and "baz", then that should
>match the interface {"foo", "bar", "baz"}, but also {"foo", "bar"},
>{"foo", "baz"}, {"bar"}, {}, etc. To find the right function for such
>a type, you need to decode each function signature and check them in
>some structured way. Unless your plan is to precompute the hash of all
>2**n interfaces that each object fulfills.

You are of course right this needs a lot more thought.

>- Adding a whole new type system with polymorphic dispatch is a heck
>of a thing to do in a spec for boxing and unboxing pointers. Honestly
>at this level I'm even leery of describing Python objects via their
>type, as opposed to just "PyObject *". Just let the callee do the type
>checking if they need to, and if it later turns out that there are
>actually enough cases where Cython knows the exact type at compile
>time and is dispatching through a boxed pointer and the callee type
>checking is significant overhead, then extend the spec then.

We are not insane, it's been said several times this goes in a later spec. We're just trying to guess whether future developments would seriously impact intern vs. strcmp -- ie what a likely signature length is in the future. We make CEP1000 a simple spec, but spend some time to try to guess how it could be extended.

Dag