[Cython] CEP1000: Native dispatch through callables

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Apr 14 10:56:44 CEST 2012

Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 14.04.2012 10:41:
> Greg Ewing wrote:
>> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>>
>>> 1) It doesn't work well with multiple interpreter states. Ok, nothing
>>> works with that at the moment, but it is on the roadmap for Python
>>
>> Is it really? I got the impression that it's not considered feasible,
>> since it would require massive changes to the entire implementation
>> and totally break the existing C API. Has someone thought of a way
>> around those problems?
>
> I was just referring to the offhand comments in PEP3121, but I guess that PEP had multiple reasons, and perhaps this particular arguøent had no significance...

IIRC, the last status was that even after this PEP, Py3 still has serious
issues with keeping extension modules in separate interpreters. And this
probably isn't worth doing anything about because it won't work without a
major effort in all sorts of places. And I never heard that any extension
module even tried to support this.

I don't think we should invest too much thought into this direction.