[Cython] CEP1000: Native dispatch through callables

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Sat Apr 14 00:31:58 CEST 2012

Dag Sverre Seljebotn <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:

>Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com>
>wrote:

>>entry if
>>size-ts
>>encoding, using
>>if it
>>spurios

>>> I am really lost here. Why is any of this complicated encoding stuff
>>> better than interning? Interning takes one line of code, is
>>incredibly
>>> cheap (one dict lookup per call site and function definition), and
>it
>>> lets you check any possible signature (even complicated ones
>>involving
>>> memoryviews) by doing a single-word comparison. And best of all, you
>>> don't have to think hard to make sure you got the encoding right.
>;-)
>>>
>>> On a 32-bit system, pointers are smaller than a size_t, but more
>>> expressive! You can still do binary search if you want, etc. Is the
>>> problem just that interning requires a runtime calculation? Because
>>> feel like C users (like numpy) will want to compute these compressed
>>> codes at module-init anyway, and those of us with a fancy compiler
>>> capable of computing them ahead of time (like Cython) can instruct
>>> that fancy compiler to compute them at module-init time just as
>>> easily?
>>
>>Good question.
>>
>>The primary disadvantage of interning that I see is memory locality. I
>>suppose if all the C-level caches of interned values were co-located,
>>this may not be as big of an issue. Not being able to compare against
>>compile-time constants may thwart some optimization opportunities, but
>>that's less clear.
>>
>>It also requires coordination common repository, but I suppose one
>>would just stick a set in some standard module (or leverage Python's
>>interning).
>
>More problems:
>
>1) It doesn't work well with multiple interpreter states. Ok, nothing
>works with that at the moment, but it is on the roadmap for Python and
>we should not make it worse.
>
>You basically *need* a thread safe store separate from any python
>interpreter; though pythread.h does not rely on the interpreter state;
>which helps.

No, it doesn't, unless we want to ship a single(!) .so-file that can be depended upon by all relevant projects. There's just no way for loaded modules to communicate and synchronize that they know about this CEP except through an interpreter...

That's almost impossible to work around in any clean way? (I can think of several very ugly ones...) Unless the multiple interpreter state idea is entirely dead in CPython, interning must be done seperately for each interpreter and the values stored in the module object. Ugh.

Dag