[Cython] Cython 0.16

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Oct 29 16:50:50 CEST 2011

mark florisson, 28.10.2011 22:59:
> On 28 October 2011 21:55, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>> With Mark's fused types and memory views going in, I think it's about
>> time for a new release.

Agreed.

>> Thoughts?

I still haven't investigated the decorator issue that appeared in the Sage
tests. I think it's related to decorators on module level def functions,
which would suggest that it's best to eventually fix it as part of the
function implementation changes that Vitja has started. But there may still
be a simpler work-around somewhere that I'm not seeing yet.

I basically broke the Sage tests by resolving a bug (593 IIRC), and both
don't currently work together. So, a variant would be to revert my changes
for 0.16 and just leave the bug in, if that keeps us from breaking existing
code for now.

But even leaving that out, the Sage tests look seriously broken currently:

https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/view/All/job/sage-tests/lastCompletedBuild/consoleFull

> That'd be cool. However there are a few outstanding issues:
>      a) the compiler is somewhat slower (possible solution: lazy utility codes)
>      b) there's a potential memory leak problem for memoryviews with
> object dtype that contain themselves, this still needs investigation.
>
> As for a), Stefan mentioned code spending a lot of time in sub.
> Stefan, could you post the code for this that made Cython compile very
> slowly?

At the time, I just ran cProfile on runtests.py with something like
"withstat with_stat" or so as tests - basically all with-statement related
ones. It took about 20 seconds or so to build the utility code, just to
throw it away unused afterwards. The compile/test run itself then took
about 3 seconds.