[Cython] PyCon-DE wrap-up by Kay Hayen

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Oct 9 19:35:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

Kay Hayen wrote a blog post about his view of the first PyCon-DE, including
a bit on the discussions I had with him about Nuitka.

http://www.nuitka.net/blog/2011/10/pycon-de-2011-my-report/

It was interesting to see that Nuitka actually comes from the other side,
meaning that it tries to be a pure Python compiler, but should at some
point start to support (Python) type hints for the compiler. Cython made
static types a language feature from the very beginning and is now fixing
up the Python compatibility. So both systems will eventually become rather
similar in what they achieve, with Cython being essentially a superset of
the feature set of Nuitka due to its additional focus on talking to
external libraries efficiently and supporting things like parallel loops or
the PEP-3118 buffer interface.

One of the impressions I took out of the technical discussions with Kay is
that there isn't really a good reason why Cython should refuse to duplicate
some of the inner mechanics of CPython for optimisation purposes. Nuitka
appears to be somewhat more aggressive here, partly because Kay doesn't
currently care all that much about portability (e.g. to Python 3).

I was previously very opposed to that (you may remember my opposition to
the list.pop() optimisation), but now I think that we have to fix up the
generated code for each new major CPython release anyway, so it won't make
a difference if we have to rework some more of the code because a bit of
those inner workings changed. They sure won't change for released CPython
versions anymore, and many implementation details are unlikely enough to
change for years to come. It's good to continue to be considerate about
such changes, but some of them may well bring another serious bit of
performance without introducing real portability risks. Changes like the
Unicode string restructuring in PEP-393 show that even relying on official
and long standing parts of the C-API isn't enough to guarantee that code
still works as expected in new releases, so we may just as well start
digging deeper.