[Cython] Cython 0.16

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:38:41 CET 2011

On 29 October 2011 17:40, Vitja Makarov <vitja.makarov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/29 Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>:
>> mark florisson, 28.10.2011 22:59:

>> Agreed.

>> I still haven't investigated the decorator issue that appeared in the Sage
>> tests. I think it's related to decorators on module level def functions,
>> which would suggest that it's best to eventually fix it as part of the
>> function implementation changes that Vitja has started. But there may still
>> be a simpler work-around somewhere that I'm not seeing yet.
>>

> Recently I've implemented py3k-super and dynamic default args if we
> have time. I would see this in release also.
>
> Can you please point me to sage decorators related failure?
>

>> I basically broke the Sage tests by resolving a bug (593 IIRC), and both
>> don't currently work together. So, a variant would be to revert my changes
>> for 0.16 and just leave the bug in, if that keeps us from breaking existing
>> code for now.
>>
>> But even leaving that out, the Sage tests look seriously broken currently:
>>
>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/view/All/job/sage-tests/lastCompletedBuild/consoleFull
>>

>>> That'd be cool. However there are a few outstanding issues:
>>>     a) the compiler is somewhat slower (possible solution: lazy utility
>>> codes)
>>>     b) there's a potential memory leak problem for memoryviews with
>>> object dtype that contain themselves, this still needs investigation.
>>>
>>> As for a), Stefan mentioned code spending a lot of time in sub.
>>> Stefan, could you post the code for this that made Cython compile very
>>> slowly?
>>
>> At the time, I just ran cProfile on runtests.py with something like
>> "withstat with_stat" or so as tests - basically all with-statement related
>> ones. It took about 20 seconds or so to build the utility code, just to
>> throw it away unused afterwards. The compile/test run itself then took about
>> 3 seconds.
>>

> --
> vitja.

With Vitja's super() ready and with fused classmethods and
staticmethods ready, I think we're almost ready for a release. I also
supported cdef class static methods (previously it gave compiler
crashes).

I think we should also merge pull requests 'casting to template
pointer' (after a test is added), and probably 'Makefile: rework repo
creation target' (although I haven't looked at it closely). I think
cythonize() is also worth documenting better, as it's a pretty neat
feature that should be more prominent and easier to find for users
(including examples of some of the #distutils directives).