[Cython] 'with gil:' statement

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Wed Mar 16 11:58:28 CET 2011

On 03/16/2011 11:28 AM, mark florisson wrote:
> I implemented the 'with gil:' statement, and have added error checking
> for nested 'with gil' or 'with nogil' statements. For instance, with
> the patch applied Cython wil issue an error when you have e.g.
>
> with nogil:
>      with nogil:
>
> (or the same thing for 'with gil:'). This because nested 'nogil' or
> 'gil' blocks, without intermediate GIL-acquiring/releasing, will abort
> the Python interpreter. However, if people are acquiring the GIL
> manually in nogil blocks and then want to release the GIL with a
> 'nogil' block, it will incorrectly issue an error. I do think this
> kind of code is uncommon, but perhaps we want to issue a warning
> instead?

I think we should make nested nogil-s noops, i.e.

with nogil:
     with nogil: # => if True:

This is because one may want to change "with nogil" to "with gil" for
debugging purposes (allow printing debug information).

Another feedback is that I wonder whether we should put the "gil" and
"nogil" psuedo-context managers both in cython namespace, and sort of
deprecate the "global" nogil, rather than introduce yet another name
that can't be used safely for all kinds of variables.

-- Dag