[Cython] Vitja's CyFunction branch

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Jul 30 11:37:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

I wonder what we should do with Vitja's CyFunction branch. He mentioned
issues with it in the past (I remember that there was one specific
changeset that he considered questionable), and it seems that we found
several ways to extend the function support beyond that, which may have an
impact on the current way it's implemented.

Is this something that makes sense to be included in 0.15, or should it
wait to get stable and further extended before being merged?

It appears to me that there are reasons for one and the other. However,
given that we plan to drop support for (at least) Python 2.3 after this
release, I feel that we should try to get out a version that doesn't
require much fixing and maintenance. Changing the implementation of
functions at this point seems like a rather deep cut. If we agree that it's
in a state that we feel comfortable with, I wouldn't object to merging it.
Otherwise, I'd suggest to wait until after the release.

Comments?