[Cython] Should we drop support for CPython 2.3? (and maybe even 2.4?)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:52:39 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> This version also was the first one to use an AST for parsing (not sure if
> that's interesting for us), and it was the first to ship with ctypes/libffi,
> which keeps being considered as a future basis for certain advanced Cython
> features.

Note that ctypes may not be available on every platform (python can be
built without ctypes).

> All of this makes me think that we should drop support for 2.4 soon,
> preferably right after 0.15 is out, and then have some fun ripping out dead
> code.

I would prefer keeping python 2.4 support for a while, especially for
the generated code side of things. Python 2.4 is still surprisingly
common. Working around it for C extensions can be pretty daunting.

cheers,

David