[Cython] How to define C-consts in python module scope

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 23:53:23 CEST 2011

On 20 July 2011 23:24, Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM, mark florisson
> <markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively it would be a runtime error when trying to import the
> objects. I suppose if cimport does not inject anything into the python
> namespace, then "cimport" could just work and "import" would work iff
> the module is available at runtime.

>>> This is like asking to provide a C source in order to being able to
>>> #include "someheader.h" in other C sources. End users do not need
>>> implementation source code, they need declarations,interface,header
>>> files.
>
> Because we all love link errors :).
>
>> I personally don't really mind, but what about not allowing cpdef in
>> .pxds for enums, but only in .pyx files:
>>
>> from mypxd cimport my_extern_enum
>> cpdef enum my_extern_enum
>>
>> Of course, the usual
>>
>> cpdef enum my_enum:
>>
>> would still be allowed in .pyx files.
>
> Hmm... that's an idea, though it means declaring things twice. Also,
> what about big lists of enums in, e.g. numpy.pxd or the system
> headers?

You'd declare the enum twice, but the contents once. In the pxd you
list the items, in the pyx you merely say "ok expose this entire thing
to Python for me".

> I'm perhaps OK with them being like cdef classes--the .pyx file is not
> needed at compile time it's a runtime error on import if the
> corresponding module is not available.

With cdef classes you need the import to access the data, but with
enums you don't so I think it's a little weird. I'd prefer a compile
time error or a warning perhaps. I don't think installing source files
is a bad idea (I'm usually disappointed when I only find .pyc files
and not the actual source, same for .pxd).